One-stop-shop to help businesses save money and go green14 August 2023
British businesses will be able to access brand new advice and support to reduce their energy bills while cutting their carbon emissions.
The UK Business Climate Hub launched today (14 August 2023) includes a free carbon calculator and a suite of new tools to help businesses measure, track and report on their emissions and save money by using less energy. It offers detailed advice on everything from sourcing products from green suppliers and reducing emissions from freight and logistics to the most cost-effective ways of installing solar panels and electric vehicle (EV) charging points.
Research shows that such measures can significantly save companies on their overheads. For example:
- switching to EVs can not only cut running costs but also lower servicing and maintenance costs by around 40% compared to petrol or diesel cars
- with up to half of companies’ overall electricity bill coming from lighting, making changes such as switching to LED bulbs can help shave up to 40% off bills
- giving drivers fuel efficiency training can help save companies an average of 15% on fuel use and carbon emissions in transporting goods
The new support is aimed particularly at 5.5 million small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) in the UK, with business and industry accounting for around 25% of emissions. Research shows that 90% of SMEs are keen to tackle climate change, but find it difficult to know how or where to start to find the right solutions to reduce their carbon footprint.
Studies also show 85% of consumers are more likely to buy from a business with a reputation for sustainability, meaning going green can help grow the economy.
Minister of State for Energy Security and Net Zero, Graham Stuart, said:
“The UK has cut its emissions more than any other major economy in the world. More and more businesses are recognising the business benefits of reaching net zero and we’re determined to empower them to do so.
“The new UK Business Climate Hub is a one-stop-shop for businesses to find practical advice to reduce their carbon footprint and save on their energy bills.
“Whether it’s fitting a low-carbon heat pump, generating energy with solar panels, or reducing the emissions from shipping goods, the new support will ensure businesses can drive towards net zero.
The new UK Business Climate Hub serves as a one-stop-shop for businesses who have yet to start making changes, as well as those who are already taking action to reduce emissions but want to take things to the next level. As well as helping bosses measure and report on their emissions, the site provides advice and support on an array of things, including:
- switching employee modes of transport and paying less for company EVs
- getting business grants, green loans and financing for a retrofit
- getting an air source heat pump
- generating green energy with a wind turbine and selling it back to the grid
- reducing emissions from farming and land use
- buying credible carbon offsets
- getting low-carbon product labels and certifications
- reducing waste and recycling more