Leicestershire’s small businesses ‘at risk’ of trading illegally due to lack of EU trading knowledge27 April 2021
Four months since the Brexit deal was signed, there are many hundreds of micro, small and medium-sized businesses across the county who could be at risk of trading illegally, as many are not aware of the full extent of new rules and legislation regarding trading with Europe, says Leicestershire Business Gateway Growth Hub.
As a result, the Growth Hub, has (today) announced the launch of its ‘What about S(ME)?’ guide. This free online guide gets this critical information into the hands of the Leicester and Leicestershire business operators who need it most yet are least likely to have it.
Jon Egley, Growth Hub Manager, comments:
“We appreciate that the past few months have been difficult for many of our region’s small and medium-sized businesses. Typically, these are owner/operators and few have in-house specialists who can guide them through the changes. We also know that, especially since COVID-19, a great deal of them are working under pressured conditions, which means they don’t always have the time to hunt down the information that might help them trade more successfully – and legally”.
He continues: “This is why we’ve created the ‘What about S(ME)? guide, which is not only entirely free of charge but summarises all the key topics around Brexit and what it means to our small business sector. It goes one step further by signposting all of the brilliant advice, information and online webinars that any SME in the county can get”.
The 24-page guide covers topics as diverse as:
- New Euro tariffs and charges – and how to make sure you’re not paying too much
- UK border readiness – what does Brexit mean for hauliers and drivers?
- Overcoming the new complexities of B2C sales into the EU
The Growth Hub has also exclusively partnered with Freeths LLP to provide additional content, ensuring all advice offered is accurate and up to date. The Freeths content within the guide includes:
- Data protection and your business
- Electric vehicles and renewable energy
- Employment law and business travel to Europe
- Intellectual property, trademarks and protecting your brand
- Supply chains and commercial contracts under the new TCA
- Transport and logistics
The guide can be viewed HERE
The Growth Hub has helped hundreds of businesses successfully tackle the new rules and red tape around trading with Europe. The guide is just one tool to assist and support the region’s small business community; the Growth Hub continue to offer specialist 1-2-1 telephone support sessions (0116 482 0111), alongside a calendar of free-to-attend webinars and online content.
Free webinars coming up:
- 10 May | 1-2-1 support sessions to help you manage issues with EU trade
- 11 May | Overcoming the new complexities of B2C sales into the EU
- 25 May | How can UK service companies adjust to the new way of trading with the EU?
For more EU support information from the Growth Hub, visit www.bizgateway.org.uk/trading-with-europe-support.